Tuesday, June 18, 2013

When Do We Talk (A Child's Question)

I don't remember exactly what I was doing when I wrote this but I do remembering wanting to talk about teen pregnancy. I think it's very important that we talk with our children early and as soon as their ready (DO NOT IGNORE...the SIGNS). Even though it's hard for us sometimes, it's needed. Therefore I wrote:

See...I wanted to talk to her but...
What do I say when I'm on thirteen.
I looked in the eyes of my father on a picture
No way to talk wit a dude out there lost in the streets.
So, I hollered at my homegirl and told her the bizness
Said how I was wanting to have sex wit dude.
And she said, "I woulda been did it."
Dude fine.
If I said I didn't want to, I'd be lieing.
I was told to talk to my parents when I was ready for sex
Daddy would say, "I bet not hear u phukn or I'm gon break yo' gaut dayum neck."
Mama say, "Baby you too young. You don't know wut you doing."
So, if I'm ready and I'm telling them both the truth & they ain't trying to hear me,
Wut do I do?
My friends at skool say to roll wit it
Dude tell me that I ain't too young for him to hit it.
Cos he's only fifteen
Say he know wut he doing
Say it won't hurt
Say he'll take care of everything.
So, I play it off and tell my mama that we talking 'bout sex at skool
She say, "They need my consent b4 discussing shyt like that wit you."
Then said, "Hell y'all too young. Don't know nuttn about sex."
I said, "Well if u feel u want to. Wut happens next?"
She say, "Girl when u get a lil' older we'll sit down and talk about the birds & the bees."
But when that time came I already had two mouths to feed.

-We need to talk to our children

(Written by Leukemiona Daniels, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment